Wednesday 8 August 2012

SKULL PARADE - First Four (MCD)


Skull Parade is a new and pretty exciting four-piece from the Gothenburg area. Bassist Magnus Lind has previously played in bands like Treasure Land and Calilio. Skull Parade plays heavy, grinding groove metal drawing some influences from various places and managing to blend it all together into a really fresh sounding musical cocktail (closer to strong merciless moonshine than any fine bar umbrella crap). I think I’d label the band modern retro, as they succeed in incorporating good old heavy riff rock into their quite modern sounding crunchy metal. Anell has a cool raspy voice, not sounding like anyone else, but still with hints of Ralf Gyllenhammar, Zakk Wylde and even some Ronnie Dio. I don’t remember him sounding this great in Art Rebellion (a much more melodic band). The band’s first EP features four songs, plus a radio edit of I Rise For No One, a song that reminds me a bit of Corroded, which ain’t a bad thing. All four songs are really great and my only complaint would be that there should be more of them. Looking forwards to that, I am!
Janne Stark
Label: private
Year: 2012
Country: Sweden

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're welcome to comment, but I reserve the right to remove any comments without notice.