Tuesday 6 October 2015

KICKIN’ VALENTINA – Super Atomic (CD)



I was never really a huge fan of sleaze and glam, to be honest. I’m more of a heavy riff seventies hard rock guy. However, some bands did catch my attention. Skid Row and Guns did have their moments, as well as bands like Tora Tora and Enuff Z'nuff. To be honest I actually like the current heavy sleaze/glam bands more than I did in the 80s. Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s them. However, bands like Crazy Lixx, Crashdïet and Hardcore Superstar have their fine moments. When I was introduced to American band Kickin’ Valentina I was not really sure it would be my bag, since my good friend, Ken Anthony, who introduced me to them, if way more sleaze/glam than I am. Well, lo and behold, these boys do rock! Super Atomic is definitely a car album. It’s custom made for front seat headbangin’ and it is highly speed inducing. Maybe it’s because they are from Georgia, but there’s a southern feel to it that sets them apart from a lot of the mainstream bands in the same genre. I’m also a fan of singer Joe Edwards’ raspy whiskey voice. There’s no rocket science involved when it comes to the song writing, but this genre doesn’t need it. It’s based on attitude, power, performance, delivery and a great sound. Kickin’ Valentina check all the boxes. I actually like this one!
Janne Stark
Country: USA
Year: 2015
Label: Highway9/Target


No comments:

Post a Comment

You're welcome to comment, but I reserve the right to remove any comments without notice.